Vice President, Acquisitions
Founded in 1966, Heitman LLC is a global real estate investment management firm with approximately $40 billion in assets under management. Heitman’s real estate investment strategies include direct investments in the equity or debt capitalization of a property or in the securities of listed and publicly traded real estate companies. Heitman serves a global client base with clients from North American, European, Middle Eastern and Asia-Pacific institutions, pension plans, foundations and corporations and individual investors. Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Los Angeles, London, Luxembourg, Frankfurt, Munich, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Melbourne, Heitman’s more than 325 employees offer specialized expertise – from a specific discipline to local insight.
Our Tokyo office is seeking a Vice President to join the firm’s Acquisitions group.
The responsibilities of a VP Acquisitions include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the members of the Asia-Pacific acquisitions team, the successful candidate will originate equity real estate transactions throughout the region but, specifically, focused on Japan and, to some extent, Korea, and other countries as needed. Specifically, a well-documented track record of negotiating and structuring joint ventures and asset acquisitions will be essential. This person will assess risks and opportunities, maximize return on investments, and optimize cash flow. He/she may also engage in a range of client facing responsibilities, including the marketing of funds and separate account opportunities to potential investors (jointly with the sales teams), and regular communication to clients.
- The individual will be working within a team located across the region, requiring a competency in time management and ability to adeptly interact with other professionals in research, asset management and client services across different offices and time zones.
- Educated to degree level (preferably Finance or Economics); a professional real estate qualification would be an advantage.
- Minimum 5-7 years real estate principal investment or origination experience.
- Track record of successfully structuring joint ventures and asset acquisitions.
- Strong contacts/relationships and standing in the Japanese market.
- Experience investing in Office, Retail, Industrial and/or Specialty property types with a sophisticated, diverse investment background.
- As well as single asset and portfolio investment experience, he/she should be familiar with operating company investments, joint venture, mezz financing and entity level investing, and financial engineering and a strong appreciation of financial modelling.
- Development and refurbishment knowledge would be an advantage.
- Fluent in Japanese; business-level written and verbal proficiency in English required. Expertise in another language a bonus.
- Excellent negotiation and business development skills.
- Strong deal management skills and exposure to large and complex deal processes at least in Japan and across sector types.
- Entrepreneurial and open mindset.
- Strong financial acumen, with an understanding of senior financing and mezzanine. This includes a skill in financial modelling and the ability to thoroughly review and critique materials prepared by junior members of the team
- Sound investment judgement to be able to prioritize and pursue worthwhile opportunities and deliver demonstrable results
- Good communication skills (oral and written).
- Team playing attitude, and highly motivated.
- High level of flexibility and professional and personal maturity.
- Moderate to extensive travel required.
Interested professionals should apply via our website at www.heitman.com. Please make sure to select “careers” under the About tab to submit your cover letter and resume. If you are a Heitman employee, please make sure to apply using your Heitman email address.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Heitman is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, medical or mental disability or condition (including, without limitation, HIV and AIDS), developmental disability, handicap, denial of family and medical care leave, denial of pregnancy leave, domestic partner status, status as a victim of sexual or domestic violence (or familial relationship to such victim), veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, arrest records, citizenship status, criminal history that has been expunged, unfavorable discharge from the military, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.