Associate, Global ESG Strategy
Founded in 1966, Heitman is a premier global real estate investment management firm with over $50 billion in assets under management. Heitman has three main business lines: direct real estate investment; the origination and servicing of debt secured by real estate and investments in publicly traded securities, including REITs, REOCs and other real estate companies. The Firm offers investment products and services across the risk/return spectrum, within each category.
Heitman is proud to be employee owned, and the firm’s real estate solutions are directed by some of the most experienced and innovative professionals in the industry. Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Melbourne, New York, Seoul and Tokyo, Heitman has 350 employees who offer specialized expertise — from a specific discipline to local insight.
Heitman is seeking an Associate, Global ESG Strategy to support our diverse Real Estate platforms. The role will work closely with the existing Assistant Vice President and Head of Global ESG. The role will support Heitman’s global ESG program and help analyze the ESG risks and opportunities associated with investments.
Location: Chicago or Remote
The responsibilities of an Associate, Global ESG Strategy include, but are not limited to:
- Support the development, execution and management of ESG reporting for private equity, private debt and public equity, globally
- Streamline ESG integration in the investment process for all products globally
- Compile, analyze, and maintain the global ESG database
- Ensure accuracy and consistency of ESG data management and reporting
- Enhance standardized ESG reporting metrics to track fund performance
- Evaluate portfolio and asset level ESG performance and recommend strategies for improvement as well as best practices
- Work with portfolio and asset management teams to set goals and implement ESG opportunities
- Help create materials to highlight ESG achievements and practices for individual funds as well as the broader firm
- Manage external reporting including the GRESB Survey
- Respond to investor inquiries concerning the company’s and funds’ ESG program
We are seeking individuals who meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Real Estate, Environmental Studies, or related discipline is required
- 1 to 3 years of experience supporting sustainability programs - preferably within the Real Estate industry
- Understanding of current Environmental, Social and Governance issues and trends
- Project management skills, including the development of work plans, responsibilities and timelines
- Strategic thinker that can leverage resources effectively and adapt their style as the situation requires
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Highly motivated and self-disciplined with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Relationship management skills with the ability to develop credibility with internal and external clients
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities with strict attention to detail
- Proficiency in Excel
- Experience with Excel Macros and PowerBI
- LEED Accredited Professional, LEED Green Associate and/or Certified Energy Manager designation
- Prior work experience focused on portfolio level ESG reporting (GRESB, TCFD, GRI, SFDR, etc)
- Experience with real estate focused greenhouse gas emissions inventories, decarbonization strategies and climate risk assessments
The Heitman Difference – Culture
Our culture recognizes the importance of our biggest differentiator — our people. Heitman’s collaborative work environment gives our professionals the opportunity to build something together. Something too appealing to ignore and too rewarding to leave.
Our culture is driven by our core values: Respect, Commitment, Innovation, and Integrity. We strive to maintain an inclusive and collaborative environment where all ideas are welcome. Among many other Heitman sponsored programs, we encourage our employees to get out into the community and volunteer with their favorite organizations – you’ll even get paid time off to do just that!
Heitman offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and life insurance, 401K plan with employer match, and a generous vacation/sick plan.
Interested professionals should apply via our website at www.heitman.com. Please make sure to select “careers” under the About tab to submit your cover letter and resume. If you are a Heitman employee, please make sure to apply using your Heitman email address.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Heitman is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, medical or mental disability or condition (including, without limitation, HIV and AIDS), developmental disability, handicap, denial of family and medical care leave, denial of pregnancy leave, domestic partner status, status as a victim of sexual or domestic violence (or familial relationship to such victim), veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, arrest records, citizenship status, criminal history that has been expunged, unfavorable discharge from the military, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.