Director, Client Service and Marketing, Defined Contribution Solutions
Founded in 1966, Heitman LLC is a global real estate investment management firm with approximately $42 billion in assets under management. Heitman’s real estate investment strategies include direct investments in the equity or debt capitalization of a property or in the securities of listed and publicly traded real estate companies. Heitman serves a global client base with clients from North American, European, Middle Eastern and Asia-Pacific institutions, pension plans, foundations and corporations and individual investors. Headquartered in Chicago, with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, Heitman’s more than 325 employees offer specialized expertise – from a specific discipline to local insight.
The Director, Client Service and Marketing, Defined Contribution Solutions (DCS) will report to the Global Sales Leader and be responsible for promoting the firm’s full suite of real estate investment products and capabilities to financial intermediaries (e.g. asset managers, trust banks, RIA’s, insurance companies and private wealth organizations) and well as to institutional investors. The primary goal of the position is to play an integral role in developing and executing a multi-year growth strategy to build a thriving DC business via both intermediaries and institutional investors in North America. This successful candidate will bring an extensive depth of knowledge of the investment business as well as an understanding of how to address the distinct real estate needs of financial intermediaries, their research teams, institutional investors, and investment consultants.
Ideally based in the firm’s Chicago headquarters he/she will be accountable for developing the strategic growth plan and leading execution of the plan for this important Channel. Building strong relationships across key sponsors will be critical to achieving the firm’s commercial goals. Responsibilities include prospect identification and development, listening for marketplace feedback for future product development, new client acquisition, DC asset gathering, and management and maintenance of relationships in these market segments (i.e. strategic relationship management) with an aim to deepen and broaden existing relationships over time.
As part of a larger Client Service & Marketing team, the Director will be expected to partner with other colleagues on the client service/marketing team—including the North American Institutional Sales Team—and across the wider firm, in order to represent the entire firm’s capability set and to maximize the cross-fertilization of ideas. Broadly speaking, the successful candidate will contribute to raising the firm’s overall DC profile and level of DC-sourced assets in the marketplace by communicating clearly and confidently the benefits of collaborating with Heitman.
He/she should be effective in identifying the best investment strategy from among the suite of available real estate products to solve client bespoke investment needs. Specifically, performance indicators will include the ability to build new institutional client relationships among investors, raise capital from new clients, retain the assets of existing clients, and to assist with new product ideas that leverage the firm’s core competencies.
The responsibilities of a Director, Client Service and Marketing, Defined Contribution Solutions include, but are not limited to:
- The Director will be a successful, polished and highly motivated professional with an established record of accomplishment of raising capital from the largest and most sophisticated North American investors.
- The successful candidate must possess the highest professional standards to represent this premier real estate brand. He/she should also be of the caliber to make an immediate impact both internally and externally. It is preferred that this candidate will have experience selling to financial intermediaries, including Target Date Fund Providers, as well as experience working with large and mega-sized institutional DC plans. He/she will be expected to have demonstrated a client acquisition and DC asset raise record of accomplishment as well as evidence of a robust set of client relationships with decision makers.
- Established a successful track record of consultative selling of investment strategies into the DC market; experience selling real estate investment management is desirable but not requisite.
- Sound technical skills as well as the intellectual flexibility to quickly grasp new products. This includes a base level knowledge of real estate investments in private and public market strategies as well as debt investments, and their applicability to DC plans either as stand-alone options or as embedded sleeves within multi-asset solutions such as default funds, real asset bundles, or managed accounts.
- Skills and ability to articulate clearly and credibly a number of distinct investment processes, as well as, to proactively identify new DC solution opportunities aligned to directional market trends and feedback.
- Experience developing and executing a detailed strategic market plan to meaningfully contribute to multi-billion dollar, multi-year capital raising efforts.
- Success in his/her own right, be results oriented, and bring a strong appetite for closing a sale. The appointee will need to feel comfortable managing the entire sale process from cold calling to final presentation; but will also benefit from a strong investment management team and overall support system.
- At least 10-15 years of capital raising experience within the asset management industry (with clear exposure to alternative investments), to include a minimum of 2 years leadership experience managing, orchestrating and executing growth strategy in territory or channel
- Broad investment knowledge encompassing some alternative strategies exposure, ideally base-level experience in real estate
- Demonstrated experience in strategic relationship management, being a strategic thought partner and change agent driving a firm’s enhanced marketing efforts
- Hungry, passionate, results oriented and driven approach to building a territory
- Creative, out of the box thinking to connect the firm’s capabilities with client needs and ability to investigate all viable options, along with consequences of each
- Strong influencing skills and willingness to challenge status quo in ways that lead to successful outcomes
- Well-developed critical thinking and analytical skills
- Willingness to travel extensively
- Collaborative by nature; willing and able to build and sustain strong working relationships with others both internally and externally; open-minded, discreet and humble
- Strong intellect demonstrated by excellent academic qualifications
- Smart, self-confident and decisive; with good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- MBA, CFA and/or CAIA is preferred by not required
Interested professionals should apply via our website at www.heitman.com. Please make sure to select “careers” under the About tab to submit your cover letter and resume. If you are a Heitman employee, please make sure to apply using your Heitman email address.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Heitman is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, medical or mental disability or condition (including, without limitation, HIV and AIDS), developmental disability, handicap, denial of family and medical care leave, denial of pregnancy leave, domestic partner status, status as a victim of sexual or domestic violence (or familial relationship to such victim), veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, arrest records, citizenship status, criminal history that has been expunged, unfavorable discharge from the military, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.